Cookies provide access to many site features and functions. By continuing, you accept the use of cookies at this website.

Supporting documents

Find out more about submitting your documents.

Submitting documents

Applicants aren't notified that everything is OK with their documents; you'll be notified only if there is something more that is required.

University Admissions will notify you by sending a message to your account here at We may ask for:

  • documents related to previous studies
  • ID documents
  • documentation of English skills

If you're wondering when your documents arrived, you can check the 'Documents' section when you log in to your account. If you uploaded your documents, you'll see a list of the files that you submitted to University Admissions. Unfortunately, you are unable to open and view these files. 

There is also a section for documents submitted by the postal/delivery service. It can take a few weeks to scan in and register the documents you submit this way. When the process is complete, you'll see a listing with a date. The date will be the date your documents arrived.

The application review process takes time

Due to the number of applications we receive, the application review process can take some time. Please note that an evaluation of your application does not automatically occur as soon as your documents are received. The application review process takes place up until the selection process, which occurs right before admissions results are posted. We appreciate your patience while the review process is completed.

Some universities require other documents of an applicant such as:

  • Recomendation letters
  • Letters of motivation
  • Essays
  • CVs

It's up to each university to decide how they'd like to receive these special letters/documents they've requested. You must check the course/programme description page on the university's website to find instructions for how you should submit them:

  • They may ask you to send them directly to the university
  • They may ask you to upload them on this website.

Please note that this does not include the other documents that are required to complete your application: ID document, transcripts, diploma, English results. They should be submitted according to the instructions on - for most, this means uploading them.

You can find the link to the course description page in the search results or in your application for the course/programme.

Unfortunately, we do not currently have the capability on to display uploaded documents. 

If you're concerned that you've uploaded an incorrect document, you can always upload the corrected one. Name it something that indicates it's an updated version of the previous document. For example, if you named your first document 'UppsalaCV', name the updated document 'UppsalaCV(2)' or 'UppsalaCVupdated'.

The best thing is to be sure the documents you're uploading - especially things like essays and letters of intent - are your final versions. Just as you would do if you were sending them by regular post.

Yes, you can. But be aware that University Admissions won't register your late documents until admissions results have been published. If you send in your documents before the results are published, they’ll be scanned and placed in a holding area. Please see Key dates for information on when results are published. 

If your documentation was required to show you meet the entry requirements for the course, you'll see on your admissions notification that the course has been deleted because you weren’t qualified. If you are still interested in the course/programme you applied for and want your documents and status to be reviewed, follow these instructions:

  • First, you must check to see that the course is still open for application. Go to the start page and search for the course. If there’s a ‘Select’ button, it’s still open for application.

  • After admission results have been published, submit an email or letter to University Admissions explaining that you'd like to reapply. In the letter, include the application code(s) for the courses you wish to reapply for and indicate in what order you wish to rank your courses. Use the contact form to send an email, or upload your letter right here on this website.

  • You can submit your documents at any time.

Please note that universities review late applications at their discretion. There’s no guarantee that your documents and application will be reviewed, even if you're qualified.

In most cases, an application will be considered late if all the correct documents haven't arrived by the deadline. This means your application won't be considered during the regular selection.

We suggest you get your documents to us as soon as you receive them. It's possible for you to be considered for available places after the regular admission selection.

The last date for submitting documents depends on which semester you´ve applied to, which admission round, and whether you’ve applied to bachelor’s or master’s level courses.

You can find more specific information at Key dates and deadlines

All admission rounds have their own special set of important dates for:

  • application deadlines
  • when transcripts and English test results must be received
  • when the application fee (if required) must be paid 
  • admissions decisions
  • deadline for replying to admission offers (if a reply is required).

Find out more at Key dates and deadlines

No, you shouldn't. University Admissions only requires one copy of your documents. Once you've uploaded them, they're available digitally in the admissions system where admissions officers can view them.

Submitting multiple copies of your documents can actually delay the processing of your application.

Only submit one (1) set of documents. Any documents you submit - either by uploading or by postal/delivery service - are placed electronically in your admissions file. If you send in multiple copies, it will delay the processing of your admissions application.

Most documents can be uploaded and we recommend that you use this method as it is the fastest, safest and easiest. There are a few exceptions - be sure to read the information specific to your country of study to find out if you have any special document requirements. 

Read more at required documents for master's

Read more at required documents for bachelor's

Your documents only need to be certified if you're submitting them using the postal service or a delivery service. If you're uploading documents, they need to be originals. Certification is not required.

Your university can certify copies of your documents by signing them and stamping them with the university stamp. If your university cannot do this, you must get the copies endorsed by a notary public who has seen the original documents. It is important that University Admissions in Sweden is able to contact the certifying officer if necessary. A stamp stating "True certified copy" without further information will not be accepted.

Be sure to read the specific instructions for your country to find out if you have any special document requirements. 

Document information for bachelor's

Document information for master's

If you've previously submitted documents to University Admissions, they remain in our electronic admissions system.

  • The documents you upload are immediately placed in your electronic admissions application
  • Documents that are submitted through regular mail are scanned and entered into this system.

You only need to send in documents for any new studies you've completed or tests you've taken since you sent in your last documentation.

It is possible if you last logged in to quite some time ago, that your electronic account has been deleted. If this is the case, please follow these instructions:

  • Select a different email address than the one you used earlier and create a new account on Remember that you'll have to check this account regularly as important information will be sent to you there from University Admissions so it's good to select an email account you'll have access to later. If you don't have another email account you can use, you can always create one.
  • Contact University Admissions and let them know that your old account was deleted, you've created a new one and that you need to connect this new account with all your documents that are on file in the admissions system

No, you can't certify your own copies. Self-certified transcripts, including printouts or screenshots from student self-service websites, are not accepted.

You can find out how to submit officially issued documents here at

Read more about making sure my documents are officially issued

University Admissions doesn’t register documents received after the deadline until admissions results have been published. During that time, we review the applications that were on-time.

After admissions results are published, if a course was deleted because you didn’t meet the entry requirements – but you believe you do meet them based on the late documents you submitted – you must reapply for the course. You can do this by completing these steps:

  • send us an email at University Admissions after admissions results are published, explaining that you’d like to reapply
  • in the letter, include the application code(s) for the courses you wish to reapply for and indicate in what order you wish to rank them
  • you can submit your documents at any time.

You can read more at reapplying for courses and programmes

University Admissions receives a large amount of documentation and it can take some time to scan and enter documents into our admissions system. It can take up to 2–3 weeks after sending your documents for them to be registered.

You'll see when they've been registered in the 'Documents' section of your account under 'Documents received by regular post'.

You should always submit your application with your course and programme selections before you submit your documents.

If you send in your documents first, they can't be matched to an application. It's much more efficient to first:

  • create an account (if you don't already have one),
  • search for and select courses and programmes,
  • prioritise them and
  • submit the application.

Find out more about the master's application process

Find out more about the bachelor's application process

The original document is the one that was issued to you – it is not a copy. Please note that a notary public can only certify copies of original documents and not copies of copies.

When scanning documents for uploading, you must scan the original document.

A transcript is a list of all the courses you have taken, either individually or as part of a programme of study, with the results (grades) you obtained. Sometimes the credit value of each course is included.

If you are currently studying, your university’s registrar’s office will be able to produce a transcript of the courses you have taken so far. If you have completed your studies, the transcript may also show your final award (usually as a class or CGPA).

University Admissions is unable to perform a preliminary assessment of your admissions application and corresponding documentation. We cannot tell you if you will be considered exempt from certain requirements beforehand.

The best way to assure that you meet the requirements is to carefully read what is needed on and the course description information on the university’s website and submit everything that is listed.

You can find a link to the university's course information by searching for the course and then clicking 'Show more' in the search result. You'll find a link to the course description page. You can also find a link on your application page.

For most universities, you can. You need to submit an official document from your current university stating that you are likely to be awarded your bachelor’s degree by the start of the Swedish programme.

Please see final year of bachelor's studies for specific information on how to do this.

English documentation

All students must have successfully completed sufficient studies in English, even if English is their first language. You can meet the English requirement through certain upper secondary qualifications from certain countries, previous university studies, or by taking an internationally recognised English test.

For more information regarding exemptions and what needs to be submitted, please see English language requirement

Submit a copy of your test taker score to University Admissions, either by uploading a scan of the original document or through regular mail.

University Admissions will then be able to verify your score online. If your score cannot be verified, it will not be accepted. The TOEFL test can be verified for up to 2 years after the test date.

Are you living in China?

Students in China cannot download the pdf of their test taker score. Specific instructions can be found on your country information page.

All applicants must demonstrate that they meet the English requirement in order to study in Sweden. The same is true of Swedish students who apply for courses taught in Swedish - just having Swedish as your native language does not prove you have the skills in Swedish necessary to study at the higher education level.

There are three ways to meet the English requirement:

  • through certain upper secondary studies;
  • through certain university studies; or 
  • by a successful result on an approved English test. 

Please see English language requirements for further information.

If you applied to bachelor's level

Applicants to bachelor's studies are required to document their proficiency in English. Even if the language of instruction of the upper secondary school programme was English, applicants are required to document that they have achieved the level of English required for the bachelor's programme they've applied to.

Some completed upper secondary studies in certain countries are enough to demonstrate that you meet the English requirement. If your country is not one of them, you'll need to submit test scores from an internationally recognised English test.

You can find out if you can meet the English requirement through your upper secondary studies by reading the required documents information for your country of study. 

Required documents

Read more about documenting your English proficiency at English language requirements

Please note: We are unable to answer questions or make a decision beforehand regarding documents submitted for the English exemption and ask that you wait until the review of your application is completed.

If you applied to master's studies

All students who wish to study a master’s programme in Sweden must document that they have met the English requirements for the programme. Even students with English as their first language must document that they meet the requirements for the programme they have applied for. However, some students can document this without submitting formal test evidence from an internationally recognised test, such as TOEFL or IELTS.

In general, students who have completed a bachelor’s degree where the language of instruction was English, or where English was the main subject, do not need to submit test scores. There are other exceptions as well. They do, however, need to document their English competence and in a specific way. 

Read more about English language requirements

Can't find the answer you were looking for?

Search for your question at the main search page, browse other question categories or contact us.

Send an email

Enter your information in the fields on the contact form. Double check that you’ve entered your correct email address. We'll respond as soon as possible.

Go to contact form

Chat with us

Please note not all questions can be answered in chat

Please contact us by email or telephone if your question is about:

  • your eligibility for a course or programme
  • if you meet the entry requirements (or if you don't, why)
  • your merit rating

Open the chat


Support centre number: +46 (0)77 155 0720

We're available Monday to Friday, 9:00 - 16:00 CET

Please note: there are times when many people are trying to contact us by telephone. We suggest you submit your question by email first if you don't require an immediate reply.