Create a user account

Before you apply you must create a user account. This user account provides access to your admissions application and your personal data.

Before you can apply, you need a profile. You can search for courses and programmes and start the application process without logging in, but you have to create a profile in order to submit the application.

Here are the different methods you can choose from.

Email or Swedish personal identity number

International applicants use their email address as their username when creating their account.

If you live in Sweden and have a Swedish personal identity number, you can create your user account using this number as your username. However, you might find it more convenient to use some form of eID.

On the login page, click on the link ”Create account” next to ”Don’t have an account?”

To complete your account set-up, you'll be required to:

  • verify your email address with a code sent to that address
  • verify your mobile nummer with a code sent to your phone
  • verify your identity by entering the one-use code you receive shortly after creating your user account.

Now you’re almost ready to start the application process. In order to finish setting up your account, you must confirm your identity. To do this, we'll send a one-use code to the address in Sweden where you're officially registered. This address is called your "folkbokföringsadress".

As a verified user you can view your qualifications online once they've been registered. You'll need to go to to do this.

Find out more at the Swedish Tax Authority's website about population registration in Sweden.

Entering your one-use code

When you log in to, you'll be presented with instructions on how to use your one-use code to complete the set-up of your account. Once you've completed this step, you'll have access to all services at

Do you have a personnummer and are living abroad?

Because your address isn't officially registered in Sweden, you can't activate your account with a one-use code.

The most convenient way for you to make an account is probably to use an eID. If that's not possible for you, send in an application and then contact us. We will see what we can do to help.

Go to the University Admissions Support Centre

Logging in through your university

Registered students currently studying at a Swedish university can log in to through their university's student portal.


The first time you log in with an eID you need to supply a mobile number and an email address we can use to get in touch with you.

Freja eID

Freja is a digital ID card that you use in place of an ID document. To use Freja, you need to register with a photo and a valid ID document.

About getting Freja eID on


EduID is a Swedish digital identity for organisations related to higher education.

EduID is run by Sunet.

Find out more about eduID at


EIDAS is an EU regulation that ensures that people and businesses can use their own national electronic identification schemes (eIDs) to access public services available online in other EU countries.

Not all EU countries are connected to eIDAS, and those who are use different types of eID systems. You can read more about it here:

About e-identification across borders at


BankID is the most widespread type of eID in Sweden. To use it, you need to have a Swedish personal identity number and be a customer of a bank that issues BankID.

About getting BankID at

Protected personal data

If you need personal data protected - for example your address and other contact information in Sweden - you can request this. Please note that if you have full privacy protection, you can't log in using BankID or FrejaID.

An application to higher education studies is considered a public record. This means all information in your application must be provided if someone requests it. 

You can protect your personal data

If you believe you're living with a threat to your life such that you can't allow your personal and contact information to be public at the Swedish Council for Higher Education (the agency responsible for University Admissions), you can request personal data protection from us. This request should include:

  • an explanation for your request
  • any documentation you have to support your argument. 

You shouldn’t begin the admissions process until you’ve received a decision.

If your request for protected personal data is granted, you cannot allow another person to represent you without power of attorney. 

You have two types of protection to choose from: full and address.

Full privacy protection

Full privacy protection means that all data in your admissions application is protected. 

If you have full protection, you’ll be required to use a paper process for your application. You won't be able to use or

Submitting your application

Please submit your application using this form:

Protected personal data form (pdf)

Send your completed form to the Swedish Council for Higher Education (UHR) at the following address:

Box 4030
171 04 Solna

Do not send your application to University Admissions or Antagningsservice.

After you submit your application

  • it will be stored in a safe place
  • your personal data and contact information will not be used in the admissions system
  • you’ll receive information regarding your application and admissions results by regular mail
  • UHR will mark your application as protected in the admissions system. 

Protected address only

This type of protection covers just your address. One thing to consider is that the name of the university at which you're studying can indicate where you're located, even if your address is protected in the admissions system. If this isn't enough protection for your needs, you should instead choose full privacy protection.  

If you only need to protect your address, you can use and for application to university studies.

With a protected address, you can't receive an activation code to confirm your identity for your account. Instead, send an email to in order to confirm your identity at or so that you can apply for university studies. 

You choose yourself what contact information you wish to disclose

If you only protect your address, all other application information is public and can be provided to anyone who requests it. You can always choose later to increase your level of protection and switch to full privacy protection. 

Things to consider when creating your account

  • If you don’t wish to disclose your actual address, you can add a temporary address on 'My pages' here at This address can be the Swedish Tax Authority’s communications service, a box address, or another address that you can use that isn’t your own. Remember that this address is linked to your personal data in the admissions system, so think carefully about what address you wish to use.
  • Consider selecting an email address that can’t be linked to you. 
  • You shouldn’t upload or submit documents where your home address or other sensitive information is included. 

How we manage your personal data

UHR and Sweden’s universities manage the admissions process together in a common data system. With “full privacy protection”, your actual personal data and contact information that you provide in your application are only available to a few admissions officers.

Many Swedish upper secondary and university grades, and even results from the Swedish Scholastic Aptitude Test, are downloaded from different databases to these electronic applications during the admissions process. These downloads can be blocked by privacy blocks. If you use a Swedish personal identity number (personnummer) that the system doesn’t recognise, your data won’t be downloaded either. If you notice you’re missing previous studies in your application, send attested copies of your documents to UHR by regular mail.

Universities are independent authorities and decide themselves what personal data to protect. They rarely make an assessment that differs from UHR, but they have the formal right to disclose the data UHR has protected in the admissions system.

If you're admitted

There are a number of practical details you need to discuss with your personal data officer at the university where you’re admitted, for example having your personal data protected in the study administration system (Ladok). Be sure to contact them for assistance.

New Identity

If you've received a new Swedish personal identity number from the Swedish Tax Authority (Skatteverket) and are living with a new identity without protected personal data, you can use and for your application. However, you must be able to show that your old grade transcripts with your former identity number are actually yours. Contact a protected personal data officer at the Swedish Council for Higher Education (UHR) to find out how to do this. 

No personal protection in the Swedish population register 

You can still be assessed for personal data protection in the admissions system even if:

  • you aren't registered in the Swedish population register
  • your need for protection is still under investigation
  • in other circumstances.

Changing your data protection

You can always choose later to decrease your level of protection. If you no longer need any type of personal data protection, you must contact UHR. Please note that the Swedish Tax Authority will not inform UHR if you no longer have a protected address. 

Changes in your data protection won't change your admissions application. If you submit your application before the deadline, it won't for example be considered a late application if you later receive personal data protection. You won't need to complete a new application if you change your data protection. 

Last updated: 19 October 2022