India, master's admission

Find out what you need to submit, what previous studies meet the general entry requirements, how to meet the English requirement and any special instructions for your country of study.

Meeting the general entry requirements

For entry to a master's programme, the minimum requirement is a 3-year Bachelor's degree with honours, 4-year Bachelor's degree, or a Bachelor's degree followed by a Master's degree (4 years of study in total). 

A Post Graduate Diploma is not considered equivalent to a Swedish kandidatexamen and does not meet the requirement.

Please note that the following degrees do not satisfy the entry requirements for a master's programme:

  • A Bachelor of Ayurvedic Medicine and Surgery from India, Sri Lanka or Bangladesh
  • A Bachelor of Unani Medicine and Surgery from India, Sri Lanka or Bangladesh
  • A Bachelor of Siddha Medicine & Surgery from India, Sri Lanka or Bangladesh

Meeting the English requirement

Upper secondary studies

You can meet the English requirement with your upper secondary studies with one of the following:

  • grades in the subject English language and at least three other subjects with English as the language of instruction stated on your official upper secondary certificate
  • grades in the subject English language stated in Indian School Certificate Class XII (year 12) that are issued by the Council for the Indian School Certificate Examinations (CISCE)
  • grades in the subject English language stated in Senior School Certificate Examination / Marks Statement cum Certificate that are issued by Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) from 2008 and onwards

English test

You can also demonstrate that you meet the English language requirement through an internationally approved English test.

More at the page English language requirements

General document requirements

In order to complete your admissions application, you must provide the following documents so they arrive at University Admissions by the deadline.

  1. Certificates and diplomas of your completed degree(s) from an internationally recognised higher education institution. 

    The certificate/diploma must be officially issued by a representative of the Academic Registrar's Office, the Examinations Office, or the equivalent office that issues official transcripts of records at your university.

    Find out more about what officially issued means

    Are you in your final year of studies? You'll need to document this! Find out how at the final year of bachelor's studies page
  2. Transcripts of completed courses and grades for each semester included in your degree. If you have had courses credited/transferred from previous studies, you must also submit official transcripts for those courses.

    The documents must be officially issued by a representative of the Academic Registrar's Office, the Examinations Office, or the equivalent office that issues official transcripts of records at your university.

    Make sure the transcripts are dated so we can clearly see when they were issued.
  3. Proof of English language proficiency
  4. Proof that you meet the specific entry requirements

    It's important you check the university's website for information regarding the specific entry requirements for the course or programme you have applied to and any other documentation they may require, such as dissertations, essay summaries, letters of recommendation, or letters of intent. Please do not submit any additional documentation unless it is specifically requested by the university.
  5. In order to speed up the processing of your application, we require a copy of the page in your passport with your personal data and photograph, or some other identification document.

Translation of documents not required

As documents from this country are normally issued in English, you don't need to provide translations.

Special document instructions

To demonstrate your eligibility, you must submit your transcript of record for all four years and your diploma.

  • College-issued mark sheet/result card/transcript will not be accepted (unless they are from an autonomous Indian college).
  • You should always upload the provisional certificate/diploma issued by the university and not college (diplomas issued by college will not be accepted).
  • Diploma and study results from all years of post-secondary education must be submitted if they are required for continued studies, e.g. lateral entry: continuing to the second year of higher education after having completed post-secondary courses.

Your name and birthdate must match on all documents

For your documents to be accepted:

  • the name and birthdate provided must be the same on all your documents (ID, transcripts, degree certificate, etc.)
  • the name on your documents must match the name you reported in your account at

If the names are different, you must provide us with documentation (for example, a marriage certificate) as to why they don't match. Please note that we cannot accept an affidavit as documentation of your name change.

If the birthdate on any of your documents is different from your passport, the difference must be explained with official documentation. Please note that we cannot accept an affidavit as documentation of your birthdate change.

This documentation must be either issued in English or Swedish or, if issued in another language, officially translated to Swedish or English.

Incomplete documentation

It's your responsibility to ensure that you have read and understood the application requirements and have gathered and submitted all the necessary components of the admissions application by the deadline.


University Admissions in Sweden checks the authenticity of your documents with the issuing institution. University Admissions in Sweden reserves the right to revoke admission if supporting documents are discovered to be fraudulent.

Submission of false documents is a violation of Swedish law and is considered grounds for legal action.

Last updated: 31 January 2024