United States of America, bachelor's admission

Find out what you need to submit, what previous studies meet the general entry requirements, how to meet the English requirement and any special instructions for your country of study.

Meeting the general entry requirements

High School Graduation Diploma + Official transcript for all years (9-12 or 10-12).

Meeting the specific entry requirements

Many courses and programmes offered in Sweden have both general and specific entry requirements. The specific requirements are Swedish courses that you must have the equivalent of from your previous studies. Read more about specific entry requirements

If you have not taken AP tests in specific subjects but have studied them at a higher level, you must upload the curriculum from your school so that we can assess your qualifications. Your curriculum documents must be uploaded by the deadline to complete applications as indicated on Universityadmissions.se.

Advanced Placement

Some College Board Advanced Placement courses completed with a grade of 3 or higher can meet the specific entry requirement for the following Swedish courses:

  • Fysik 2 (physics) - AP Physics 1 or AP Physics 2
  • Kemi 2 (chemistry) - AP Chemistry
  • Biologi 2 (biology) - AP Biology
  • Matematik 5 (mathematics) - AP Calculus AB or BC

Final school grades

You can meet the specific entry requirement for the following Swedish courses with these completed high school courses:

  • Matematik 2a (mathematics) with all three courses Algebra 1, Geometry and Algebra 2
  • Matematik 3b (mathematics) with Pre-Calculus
  • Matematik 4 (mathematics) with Calculus
  • Fysik 1a (physics) with 2 full year physics courses in grades 10-12
  • Naturkunskap 2 (natural science) with 2 of the subjects physics, chemistry or biology during grades 10-12. 

Meeting the English requirement

You can meet the English requirement with your upper secondary studies. If you completed all four years of High School, you fulfil the English language entry requirement (the equivalent of the Swedish course English 6).

Please note the GED examination does not fulfil the English language entry requirements, as it is only equivalent to the Swedish course English 5.

You can also demonstrate that you meet the English language requirement through your university studies. If the language of instruction for your bachelor's programme was English, you can document this with your degree certificate and transcript. Other documentation is not required.

You can also fulfill the requirement with an internationally approved English test.

Find out more at English language requirements

General document requirements

To complete your admissions application, you must provide the following documentation:

1. Record of completed upper secondary (high school) education

For your eligibility for courses and programmes at the bachelor's level to be determined - and for you to compete with other applicants for available places in courses and programmes - you must submit your upper secondary qualifications. 

This completed education must qualify you for higher education studies in the country you received it. 

2. Identification document

To speed up the processing of your application, we require a copy of the page in your passport with your personal data and photograph, or a similar identification document.

What about university records?

Your university qualifications cannot be considered instead of your upper secondary (high school) qualifications. However, the results from your previous university studies may help you meet the specific entry requirements for a course or programme. We therefore recommend that you submit documentation of your university studies. 

To find out how to submit them, see the information for your country of study for master's applications.

Translation of documents not required

As documents from this country are normally issued in English, you don't need to provide translations.

Special document instructions

Your official transcript must be sent directly from your school to University Admissions in Sweden

There are two ways you can arrange this:

1. Your school can send the official transcripts from an official email address to verifications@uhr.se. This is the fastest and most reliable way to have your documents delivered.

Please note that we will not be able to answer any questions sent to this address from senders other than your school.

2. Your school can send the official transcripts in a sealed envelope to the following address: 

PostNord Strålfors AB
Att: University Admissions in Sweden
SE-190 81 Rosersberg

Please note that the envelope may not contain any other documents than the official transcript.

If your school sends us your supporting documentation via a delivery service, such as FedEx or DHL, please ask them to use the address below. Do not use this address for regular post.

PostNord Strålfors AB
Att: University Admissions in Sweden
Järngatan 11, Kaj 21-25
SE-190 81 Rosersberg

Please note that the envelope may not contain any other documents than the official transcript.

If you've studied at an international American high school

Transcripts from International High Schools operating within the American education system must include information about the accrediting organisation so that it is possible to determine whether the school has an accepted regional accreditation in the USA. If this information is not on the transcripts, it must be stated on the diploma or separate appendix.

Your name and birthdate must match on all documents

For your documents to be accepted:

  • the name and birthdate provided must be the same on all your documents (ID, transcripts, degree certificate, etc.)
  • the name on your documents must match the name you reported in your account at Universityadmissions.se

If the names are different, you must provide us with documentation (for example, a marriage certificate if you've been married) as to why they don't match.

If the birthdate on any of your documents is different from your passport, the difference must be explained with official documentation.

This documentation must be either issued in English or Swedish or, if issued in another language, officially translated to Swedish or English.

The easiest way to get your documentation to us is by uploading it here at Universityadmissions.se. 

Incomplete documentation

It's your responsibility to ensure that you have read and understood the application requirements and have gathered and submitted all the necessary components of the admissions application by the deadline.


University Admissions in Sweden checks the authenticity of your documents with the issuing institution. University Admissions in Sweden reserves the right to revoke admission if supporting documents are discovered to be fraudulent.

Submission of false documents is a violation of Swedish law and is considered grounds for legal action.

Last updated: 07 November 2022