United Kingdom, bachelor's admission

Find out what you need to submit, what previous studies meet the general entry requirements, how to meet the English requirement and any special instructions for your country of study.

Meeting the general entry requirements

To meet the entry requirements for as many subjects as possible, you must upload all of your certificates and diplomas from your British upper secondary education, for example GCE, GCSE, IGCSE and BTEC.

To meet the general eligibility requirements, you must have one of these combinations:

  • At least two GCE A level + all subjects from GCSE/ IGCSE/ Ordinary level, at least five different subjects in total.
  • BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma, 180 credits / BTEC National Diploma  + all subjects from GCSE/ IGCSE/ Ordinary level, at least three different subjects in total, or BTEC level 1+2.
  • BTEC Level 3 Diploma, 120 credits / BTEC National Certificate + all subjects from GCSE/ IGCSE/ Ordinary level, at least three different subjects in total, or BTEC level 1+2.
  • Access to Higher Education Diploma (AHED) recognised by The Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education.

Please note that:

  • All documents must be officially issued by an Examination Board. Notification of results or statement of results will not be accepted.
  • If you have lost your original certificate, you can submit a replacement examination certificate or a certified statement of results issued by an Examination Board.
  • If you have a BTEC degree, you must submit both Certificate and Notification of Performance.
  • To fulfil the requirements for English and mathematics, you must submit documentation showing that you fulfil the requirements in these subjects, for example GCSE (BTEC level 1/2/3 in these subjects does not meet the requirement).

Meeting the English requirement

You can meet the English requirement with your upper secondary studies with the GCSE/IGCSE, grade C/4.

You can also demonstrate that you meet the English language requirement through your university studies. If the language of instruction for your bachelor's programme was English, you can document this with your degree certificate and transcript. Other documentation is not required.

You can also fulfill the requirement with an internationally approved English test.

Find out more at English language requirements

General document requirements

To complete your admissions application, you must provide the following documentation:

1. Record of completed upper secondary (high school) education

For your eligibility for courses and programmes at the bachelor's level to be determined - and for you to compete with other applicants for available places in courses and programmes - you must submit your upper secondary qualifications. 

This completed education must qualify you for higher education studies in the country you received it. 

2. Identification document

To speed up the processing of your application, we require a copy of the page in your passport with your personal data and photograph, or a similar identification document.

What about university records?

Your university qualifications cannot be considered instead of your upper secondary (high school) qualifications. However, the results from your previous university studies may help you meet the specific entry requirements for a course or programme. We therefore recommend that you submit documentation of your university studies. 

To find out how to submit them, see the information for your country of study for master's applications.

Translation of documents not required

As documents from this country are normally issued in English, you don't need to provide translations.

Your name and birthdate must match on all documents

For your documents to be accepted:

  • the name and birthdate provided must be the same on all your documents (ID, transcripts, degree certificate, etc.)
  • the name on your documents must match the name you reported in your account at Universityadmissions.se

If the names are different, you must provide us with documentation (for example, a marriage certificate if you've been married) as to why they don't match.

If the birthdate on any of your documents is different from your passport, the difference must be explained with official documentation.

This documentation must be either issued in English or Swedish or, if issued in another language, officially translated to Swedish or English.

The easiest way to get your documentation to us is by uploading it here at Universityadmissions.se. 

Incomplete documentation

It's your responsibility to ensure that you have read and understood the application requirements and have gathered and submitted all the necessary components of the admissions application by the deadline.


University Admissions in Sweden checks the authenticity of your documents with the issuing institution. University Admissions in Sweden reserves the right to revoke admission if supporting documents are discovered to be fraudulent.

Submission of false documents is a violation of Swedish law and is considered grounds for legal action.

Information regarding Brexit

What are the current rules for British citizens?

Currently, British citizens and their family members designated in article 10 of the Withdrawal Agreement - those who exercised their right to reside in Sweden before the end of the transitional period (which ended 31 December 2020), and continue to do so - are not required to pay application and tuition fees. 

British citizens not covered by the Withdrawal Agreement - or any other fee exemptions - are required to pay both application and tuition fees starting 1 January 2021.

Information from the Swedish government on Brexit

Information from the Swedish Migration Agency on Brexit

Required documents as of 1 January 2021

From 1 December 2020, you can apply for residence status for British citizens with the Swedish Migration Agency. When you receive your residence status, scan the original document verifying your status and upload it to your account here at Universityadmissions.se. Please note that the deadline for applying for residence status for British citizens is 31 December 2021.

If your residence decision has not arrived

If you've applied for but haven't yet received your residence decision, please scan a copy of the certificate indicating that you have submitted an application for residence status for British citizens with the Swedish Migration Agency.

Find out more about applying for residence status as a British citizen at the Swedish Migration Board's website

What if I have residence status in another EU country?

In order to be exempt from paying application and tuition fees in Sweden, you must have exercised your right to reside in Sweden. 

Last updated: 07 March 2022