Somalia, bachelor's admission

Find out what you need to submit, what previous studies meet the general entry requirements, how to meet the English requirement and any special instructions for your country of study.

Meeting the general entry requirements

An Upper Secondary Certificate (Shahaadada Dugsiga Sare) issued by Ministry of Education Culture & Higher Education from 2015 can give eligibility for studies at the bachelor´s level in Sweden. According to current information, it should be possible to receive this document if you finished your upper secondary studies 1999 or later.

An Upper Secondary Certificate (Shahaadada Dugsiga Sare) issued by Somali Democratic Republic Ministry of Education until 1990 can give eligibility for studies at the bachelor´s level in Sweden. 

Meeting the English requirement

Upper secondary studies completed in this country do not meet the English requirement for studies in Sweden. Even if you studied English at your upper secondary school, it is not enough to give you eligibility in regard to English.

You can demonstrate that you meet the English language requirement through certain university studies, or an internationally approved English test.

Find out more at English language requirements

General document requirements

To complete your admissions application, you must provide the following documentation:

1. Record of completed upper secondary (high school) education

For your eligibility for courses and programmes at the bachelor's level to be determined - and for you to compete with other applicants for available places in courses and programmes - you must submit your upper secondary qualifications. 

This completed education must qualify you for higher education studies in the country you received it. 

2. Identification document

To speed up the processing of your application, we require a copy of the page in your passport with your personal data and photograph, or a similar identification document.

What about university records?

Your university qualifications cannot be considered instead of your upper secondary (high school) qualifications. However, the results from your previous university studies may help you meet the specific entry requirements for a course or programme. We therefore recommend that you submit documentation of your university studies. 

To find out how to submit them, see the information for your country of study for master's applications.

Translation requirements

Documents issued in English, French, Spanish, German, Danish, Norwegian, Swedish and Finnish do not need to be translated.

If your documents are in any other language, you must also submit an official translation of the documents into Swedish or English. Official means that your translation must be completed by a translation company or a person who works as a translator.

What about translation of my university documents?

If you have university documents to submit, you can find translation instructions by clicking on your country of study at the information for master's applications.

Special document instructions

If you live in Sweden

You must submit the original certificate (Shahaadada Dugsiga Sare) by registered mail to:

Swedish Council for Higher Education
Attn: Verifications
Box 4030
SE-171 04 Solna

We will send your original back to you by registered mail so please make sure that you have given us your correct address.

An Upper Secondary Certificate (Shahaadada Dugsiga Sare) issued by the Formal Private Education Network in Somalia (FPENS) from 2000 does not automatically fulfill the general entry requirements. All certificates issued by FPENS are sent to FPENS for verification. If you live in a country other than Sweden, the university you apply to will make a decision about your eligibility on a case-by-case basis. If you are living in Sweden, you will be required to complete studies at the adult upper secondary education level in order to meet the general entry qualifications.

Certificates issued by other education providers such as School Association for Formal Education (SAFE), Schools Organization for Formal Education (SOFE, )Somaliland National Examination & Certification Board (SLNECB) etc. are not accepted because we have not been able to officially contact these organisations.

Your name and birthdate must match on all documents

For your documents to be accepted:

  • the name and birthdate provided must be the same on all your documents (ID, transcripts, degree certificate, etc.)
  • the name on your documents must match the name you reported in your account at

If the names are different, you must provide us with documentation (for example, a marriage certificate if you've been married) as to why they don't match.

If the birthdate on any of your documents is different from your passport, the difference must be explained with official documentation.

This documentation must be either issued in English or Swedish or, if issued in another language, officially translated to Swedish or English.

The easiest way to get your documentation to us is by uploading it here at 

Incomplete documentation

It's your responsibility to ensure that you have read and understood the application requirements and have gathered and submitted all the necessary components of the admissions application by the deadline.


University Admissions in Sweden checks the authenticity of your documents with the issuing institution. University Admissions in Sweden reserves the right to revoke admission if supporting documents are discovered to be fraudulent.

Submission of false documents is a violation of Swedish law and is considered grounds for legal action.

Last updated: 19 October 2022