Rwanda, bachelor's admission

Find out what you need to submit, what previous studies meet the general entry requirements, how to meet the English requirement and any special instructions for your country of study.

Meeting the general entry requirements

The following meet the general requirement:

  • National/Rwanda Advanced Certificate of Secondary Education (General eller Professional A2)
  • Diplôme de Fin d’Etudes Secondaires (Humanités Génerales, Techniques, Pédagogiques eller Professionelles A2)
  • Certificat du Cycle Supérieur de l’Enseignement Secondaire
  • Diplôme d’Humanités Générales.

Meeting the English requirement

Most students from Rwanda must demonstrate their proficiency in English by means of an internationally recognised test, e.g. TOEFL, IELTS or the equivalent. There are, however, a few exceptions to this: 

1. Rwanda Advanced General Certificate of Secondary Education from 2018 onwards, if the subject English is stated in the degree certificate or in the transcript of grades for all upper secondary years.

2. Students with a bachelor’s degree awarded by a university where English is the only language of instruction, meet the requirement. The university must be listed as only providing instruction in English in the edition of the International Handbook of Universities/World Higher Education Database (WHED) that was current the year the degree was awarded. (This is an exception for all applicants.)

3. If you have a bachelor's degree from one of the following universities not listed in the WHED, you can also meet the English requirement:

  • Kigali Institute of Education (degree from 2005 or later)  
  • Kigali Institute of Science and Technology (degree from 2005 or later)  
  • Kigali Health Institute (degree from 2007 and later)
  • National University of Rwanda (degree from 2009 or later)
  • Higher Institute of Agriculture and Animal Husbandry (degree from 2009 or later)
  • School of Finance and Banking (degree from 2009 or later)

Find out more at English language requirements

General document requirements

To complete your admissions application, you must provide the following documentation:

1. Record of completed upper secondary (high school) education

For your eligibility for courses and programmes at the bachelor's level to be determined - and for you to compete with other applicants for available places in courses and programmes - you must submit your upper secondary qualifications. 

This completed education must qualify you for higher education studies in the country you received it. 

2. Identification document

To speed up the processing of your application, we require a copy of the page in your passport with your personal data and photograph, or a similar identification document.

What about university records?

Your university qualifications cannot be considered instead of your upper secondary (high school) qualifications. However, the results from your previous university studies may help you meet the specific entry requirements for a course or programme. We therefore recommend that you submit documentation of your university studies. 

To find out how to submit them, see the information for your country of study for master's applications.

Translation requirements

Documents issued in English, French, Spanish, German, Danish, Norwegian, Swedish and Finnish do not need to be translated.

If your documents are in any other language, you must also submit an official translation of the documents into Swedish or English. Official means that your translation must be completed by a translation company or a person who works as a translator.

What about translation of my university documents?

If you have university documents to submit, you can find translation instructions by clicking on your country of study at the information for master's applications.

Your name and birthdate must match on all documents

For your documents to be accepted:

  • the name and birthdate provided must be the same on all your documents (ID, transcripts, degree certificate, etc.)
  • the name on your documents must match the name you reported in your account at

If the names are different, you must provide us with documentation (for example, a marriage certificate if you've been married) as to why they don't match.

If the birthdate on any of your documents is different from your passport, the difference must be explained with official documentation.

This documentation must be either issued in English or Swedish or, if issued in another language, officially translated to Swedish or English.

The easiest way to get your documentation to us is by uploading it here at 

Incomplete documentation

It's your responsibility to ensure that you have read and understood the application requirements and have gathered and submitted all the necessary components of the admissions application by the deadline.


University Admissions in Sweden checks the authenticity of your documents with the issuing institution. University Admissions in Sweden reserves the right to revoke admission if supporting documents are discovered to be fraudulent.

Submission of false documents is a violation of Swedish law and is considered grounds for legal action.

Last updated: 19 October 2022