Gambia, bachelor's admission

Find out what you need to submit, what previous studies meet the general entry requirements, how to meet the English requirement and any special instructions for your country of study.

Meeting the general entry requirements

One of the following certificates must be submitted with your application:

  • West African Senior School Certificate (WASSCE). Your WASSCE results must include five (5) subjects or more: three (3) core subjects (English, Science or Maths and a humanities subject or a social science subject) and two (2) elective subjects.
  • Senior Secondary School Certificate (SSSCE). Your SSSCE results must include six (6) subjects or more: three (3) core subjects (English, Maths and Science), and three (3) elective subjects.
  • General Certificate of Education (GCE) Ordinary Level and Advanced Level. Your GCE results must include five (5) subjects or more of which at least two (2) must be at the advanced level.

Meeting the English requirement

You can meet the English requirement with your upper secondary studies with:

  • GCE O-level in English

  • English in your SSCE/WASSCE

Students with a completely documented Bachelor’s degree from a recognised university in Gambia are considered to have a sufficient level of English.

You can also demonstrate that you meet the English language requirement through an internationally approved English test.

Find out more at English language requirements

General document requirements

To complete your admissions application, you must provide the following documentation:

1. Record of completed upper secondary (high school) education

For your eligibility for courses and programmes at the bachelor's level to be determined - and for you to compete with other applicants for available places in courses and programmes - you must submit your upper secondary qualifications. 

This completed education must qualify you for higher education studies in the country you received it. 

2. Identification document

To speed up the processing of your application, we require a copy of the page in your passport with your personal data and photograph, or a similar identification document.

What about university records?

Your university qualifications cannot be considered instead of your upper secondary (high school) qualifications. However, the results from your previous university studies may help you meet the specific entry requirements for a course or programme. We therefore recommend that you submit documentation of your university studies. 

To find out how to submit them, see the information for your country of study for master's applications.

Translation of documents not required

As documents from this country are normally issued in English, you don't need to provide translations.

Special document instructions

All upper secondary school results must be issued by the West African Examinations Council (WAEC).

You are required to submit the officially issued certificate. Print-outs or result slips are only accepted if we've received information from WAEC that the certificates for the exam have not yet been issued. We verify all results with scratch cards.

If you've lost your certificate, you should ask WAEC to send a “Confirmation of Result”. They can do this two ways:

  • WAEC can send the “Confirmation of Result" from an official email address to This is the fastest and easiest method. We will unfortunately not be able to answer any questions sent to this address from senders other than WAEC.
  • WAEC can send the "Confirmation of Result" by regular post to: Swedish Council for Higher Education, "Verifications", Box 4030, SE-171 04 Solna, Sweden'

Submit scratch card for verification

In addition to a copy of your certificate, you are also required to submit a scratch card issued by WAEC. You can do this by:

  • uploading a photograph or scan of the serial number and PIN, or
  • submitting the information from your scratch card using the contact form at the University Admissions Support Centre.

Your name and birthdate must match on all documents

For your documents to be accepted:

  • the name and birthdate provided must be the same on all your documents (ID, transcripts, degree certificate, etc.)
  • the name on your documents must match the name you reported in your account at

If the names are different, you must provide us with documentation (for example, a marriage certificate) as to why they don't match. Please note that we cannot accept an affidavit as documentation of your name change.

If the birthdate on any of your documents is different from your passport, the difference must be explained with official documentation. Please note that we cannot accept an affidavit as documentation of your birthdate change.

This documentation must be either issued in English or Swedish or, if issued in another language, officially translated to Swedish or English.

Incomplete documentation

It's your responsibility to ensure that you have read and understood the application requirements and have gathered and submitted all the necessary components of the admissions application by the deadline.


University Admissions in Sweden checks the authenticity of your documents with the issuing institution. University Admissions in Sweden reserves the right to revoke admission if supporting documents are discovered to be fraudulent.

Submission of false documents is a violation of Swedish law and is considered grounds for legal action.

Last updated: 05 October 2022