In order to be eligible for university studies in Sweden, a student must demonstrate that they meet the English requirements for the course or programme.

What is the requirement?

Bachelor's level

For courses and study programmes at the bachelor's level, the English language general entry requirement is the equivalent of English studies at upper secondary (high school) level in Sweden, called English 6/English Course B.

Master's level

For most master's level courses and programmes, the requirement is also the equivalent of English 6/English Course B, though some may require a lower or higher level of English.

Check the course description

You can find out what the English requirement is for the course or programme you’re applying to by going to the course description page on the university’s website. Please note that some universities have their own requirements regarding what is needed in order to demonstrate English proficiency.

How can I meet the English language requirement?

You can demonstrate that you meet the English language requirement through:

  • certain upper secondary (high school) studies,

  • certain university studies,

  • or an internationally approved English test.

Please click on the following links for more information regarding how you can meet the English requirement for English 6 or Course B.

Upper secondary (high school) studies

University studies

Language test

Photo Credit: Eva Dalin