Brexit information for British citizens and their families

The United Kingdom formally left the European Union on 1 February 2020. This has resulted in some changes regarding the application and tuition fee requirements for British citizens and their families.

There were rules that applied during the transitional period, and rules for after that period was concluded.

During the transitional period

A transitional period was put in place until 31 December 2020. During this time, British citizens and their family members continued for the most part to have the same rights as they had before. Among other things, this meant that they were exempt from paying application and tuition fees for higher education studies in Sweden.

After the transitional period

The transitional period expired on 31 December 2020. Currently, British citizens and their family members designated in article 10 of the Withdrawal Agreement - those who exercised their right to reside in a Member State before the end of the transitional period, and continue to do so - are not required to pay application and tuition fees.

British citizens not covered by the Withdrawal Agreement - or any other fee exemptions - are required to pay both application and tuition fees starting 1 January 2021.

Information from the Swedish government on Brexit

Information from the Swedish Migration Agency on Brexit

Required documentation from 1 January 2021

If you're covered by article 10 of the Withdrawal Agreement, you'll need to document your status in order to not pay the application fee. 

From 1 December 2020, you can apply for residence status for British citizens with the Swedish Migration Agency. When you receive your residence status, scan the original document verifying your status and upload it to your account here at

If your residence decision has not arrived

If you've applied for but haven't yet received your residence decision, please scan and upload the following documents in order to document your status:

  • a scanned copy of the certificate indicating that you have submitted an application for residence status for British citizens with the Swedish Migration Agency
  • a population register certificate from the Swedish Tax Agency in which your British citizenship and address in Sweden are included.

Find out more about the population register certificate at the Swedish Tax Agency's website

Find out more about applying for residence status as a British citizen at the Swedish Migration Board's website


Last updated: 11 January 2021