China (Mainland), master's admission

Find out what you need to submit, what previous studies meet the general entry requirements, how to meet the English requirement and any special instructions for your country of study.

Meeting the general entry requirements

For entry to a Master's programme, the minimum requirement is a 4-year Bachelor's degree (Benke-本科). If you completed a 4-year programme in a shorter period of time – for example, within 3 years – you must submit an official document from your university which indicates this, and also explains why one or two semesters are missing from your transcript.

Students holding only a 3-year Diploma (zhuanke-专科) will not satisfy the entry requirements for a Master's programme. Students may be able to use sub-degree level qualifications as a pathway to a Bachelor's degree. In such cases the field of study for the upgrading program must be the same as the field studied in the sub-degree program.

Meeting the English requirement

Upper secondary studies completed in this country do not meet the English requirement for studies in Sweden. Even if you studied English at your upper secondary school, it is not enough to give you eligibility in regard to English.

You can demonstrate that you meet the English language requirement through certain university studies, or an internationally approved English test.

Find out more at English language requirements

If you take the TOEFL test:

University Admissions requires a copy of score results, which we then verify online. Students in China cannot download a PDF of their test taker score, our recommended way to get test results to us. If you've taken the TOEFL test, please follow these instructions:

  • Notify Educational Testing Service that you wish to make your scores available to University Admissions in Sweden. Our institution code is "Sweden 3477". You can choose any school type and department for University Admissions.
  • When you register for the test, ask ETS to send you a copy of the test taker score to your home address. Upload a copy of the results when you receive them.
  • If you didn't request a copy when you registered, you can contact ETS and ask them to send you your test taker score. You must pay for this service, and also note it will take a bit of time for you to get your copy. 
  • If the documentation deadline is approaching and you haven't received your test taker score copy, you can take a photograph (easiest with a mobile phone) of your computer screen after accessing your scores. This photo can then be uploaded to University Admissions.

What we need is a scan, copy or photo of your score report. We will use this to verify your results online.

General document requirements

In order to complete your admissions application, you must provide the following documents so they arrive at University Admissions by the deadline.

1. Certificates and diplomas of your completed degree(s) from an internationally recognised higher education institution.

The certificate/diploma must be officially issued by a representative of the Academic Registrar's Office, the Examinations Office, or the equivalent office that issues official transcripts of records at your university.

2. Transcripts of completed courses and grades for each semester included in your degree. If you have had courses credited/transferred from previous studies, you must also submit official transcripts for those courses.

The documents must be officially issued by a representative of the Academic Registrar's Office, the Examinations Office, or the equivalent office that issues official transcripts of records at your university.

3. Proof of English language proficiency

4. Proof that you meet the specific entry requirements

It's important you check your university's website for information regarding the specific entry requirements for the course or programme you have applied to and any other documentation they may require, such as dissertations, essay summaries, letters of recommendation, or letters of intent. Please do not submit any additional documentation unless it is specifically requested by the university.

5. In order to speed up the processing of your application, we require a copy of the page in your passport with your personal data and photograph, or some other identification document.

Special document instructions

A Bachelor Degree Certificate (学位证书), a Certificate of Graduation (毕业证书) and transcripts (for each year of study) should be submitted. 

  • Transcripts issued in English by the university are accepted; in this case, transcripts in original language are not required.
  • Transcripts should be official documents, issued and stamped by the university. Please note that if you need to submit a translation, it must be officially certified.
  • If you are a final-year student, you need to submit a certificate of your final year of study issued by the university.
  • Note that your Degree and Graduation Certificates must always be included in the original language, along with an official translation to English or Swedish. Official means that your translation must be completed by a translation company or a person who works as a translator.
  • If you upload your documents, you must scan your original documents; uploaded certified copies are not accepted.

These requirements also apply to international students from other countries who have a degree from a Chinese university.

Independent colleges

Students who have studied/are studying at an independent college are required to present a completed degree at the time of application. Students in their final year at an independent college will not satisfy the entry requirements for a Master's programme.

Self-study examinations

For entry to a Master's programme, the minimum requirement is 20-25 courses/examinations in core courses related to the major subject, and a thesis.

Embossed stamps

If your documents contained embossed (raised) stamps (you can feel them on the paper, but they may not have any visible ink), you must check the scan you create of your document to ensure that the stamp can be seen. If you cannot read the stamp on the scanned document, you must submit copies of your academic documents to University Admissions via regular post. The embossed stamp is proof of the authenticity of your documents and must be visible for them to be accepted.

Your name must match on all documents

In order for your documents to be accepted:

  • the name provided on all your documents must be the same (ID, transcripts, degree certificate, etc.)
  • the name on your documents must match the name you reported in your account at

It's possible your name is not the same, for example if:

  • you used a nickname instead of your legal name when creating your account
  • you've gotten married and changed your name
  • you've legally changed your name
  • other reasons

If this is the case, you must provide us with documentation (for example, a marriage certificate if you've been married) as to why the names do not match. You can contact us if you're not sure what you should submit. The easiest way to get your documentation to us is by uploading it here at

Incomplete documentation

It is your responsibility to ensure that you have read and understood the application requirements and have gathered and submitted all the necessary components of the admissions application by the deadline.

If any required document is not submitted, or submitted in the wrong way, your application will not be assessed - even if the study documentation is otherwise complete. For example, if your study results from any one year or semester are missing, your study documentation is incomplete and therefore will not be assessed, even if you have submitted documentation for the rest of your studies. The same applies to applicants who upload documents when they are required to have their university send them directly.


University Admissions in Sweden checks the authenticity of your documents with the issuing institution. University Admissions in Sweden reserves the right to revoke admission if supporting documents are discovered to be fraudulent.

Submission of false documents is a violation of Swedish law and is considered grounds for legal action.

Last updated: 24 July 2020