Yoon is from South Korea and has permanent Swedish residency. She wishes to go back to university and finish her teaching studies.

Pernilla, admissions counselor

Pernilla Andersson works at University Admissions in Sweden as an admissions officer. She is here to answer some questions that our applicants have regarding application and tuition fees in Sweden.


Yoon: I have a permanent residence permit for Sweden and am wondering if I´m going to have to pay application and tuition fees.

Pernilla: Individuals with permanent Swedish residency are not required to pay application and tuition fees. Your Swedish personal identity number will be checked automatically by our admissions system so you normally should not need to provide any documentation to us of your status.

It is possible that our electronic check will indicate that you are required to document your status. If this is the case, you will receive an email about this with instructions on how to proceed.

If you receive an email and are required to document your residency status, please submit a copy of the decision you received from the Swedish Migration Agency (Migrationsverket) regarding your residency. It is important that this document contain information regarding on what grounds your residency was granted.

Illustrations by Gabriel Wentz