Mikael, Swedish citizen

Mikael is a Swedish citizen. He has just finished studies at a Swedish gymnasieskola (high school) and is applying for university studies.

Pernilla, admissions counselor

Pernilla Andersson works at University Admissions in Sweden as an admissions officer. She is here to answer some questions that our applicants have regarding application and tuition fees in Sweden.


Mikael: I´ve been reading a lot about application and tuitions fees and am wondering if I am required to pay them.

Pernilla: Swedish citizens are not required to pay application or tuition fees to study at a Swedish university.

Mikael: Do I need to send in anything to University Admissions to prove my Swedish citizenship?

Pernilla: No, you don't. Your Swedish personal identity number (personnummer) will be checked automatically by our admissions system; you don´t need to provide us with any documentation.

However, if you are registered as living outside of Sweden, you need to document your citizenship. See Students with a Swedish personal identity number for more information.

Illustrations by Gabriel Wentz