Kim is from Vietnam. She has been married to Per, a Swedish citizen, for 11 years. They have been living in Vietnam but wish to move to Sweden, where Kim is planning on studying. 

Pernilla, admissions counselor

Pernilla Andersson works at University Admissions in Sweden as an admissions officer. She is here to answer some questions that our international applicants have regarding application and tuition fees in Sweden.


Kim: I've been married to Per for the past 11 years. We're going to move to Sweden in a few months and I'd like to finish my engineering degree. Do I need to pay application and tuition fees?

Pernilla: Being married to a Swedish citizen doesn't automatically make one exempt from paying fees. In order to be free from paying them, you need to have a Swedish residence permit for reasons other than studies. You should apply for your residence permit as soon as possible with the Swedish Migration Agency.

Feel free to apply to courses at but be sure to submit a certified copy of the decision from the Swedish Migration Agency regarding your residence permit so that we receive it before the payment deadline. If you do not receive a decision before the payment deadline, you must pay the application fee. Otherwise, your application will be considered late and will only be considered at the discretion of the university later, if there are places available.

It is important that this document contain information stating on what grounds your residency was granted.

Illustration by Gabriel Wentz