Evin, student with temporary residency

Evin is originally from Iraq and has been living in Sweden for a few years. She has been granted temporary residency in Sweden by the Swedish Migration Agency. Her residency was not granted based on studies. She is applying for courses and programmes at several Swedish universities.

Pernilla, admissions counselor

Pernilla Andersson works at University Admissions in Sweden as an admissions officer. She is here to answer some questions that our applicants have regarding application and tuition fees in Sweden.


Evin: I´m not a Swedish citizen but I do have temporary residency in Sweden. Do I have to pay fees? 

Pernilla: No, you don't. Applicants who have been granted temporary residency in Sweden for reasons other than studies do not have to pay application or tuition fees.  

Students who have been granted temporary residency for studies, however, are required to pay application and tuition fees.  

Evin: What should I do to certify my residency status?  

Pernilla: After you submit your application electronically on Universityadmissions.se, our admissions system will confirm your status using your Swedish personal identity number. In most cases, you do not need to submit any documents regarding your residency status.

It is possible that our electronic check will indicate that you are required to document your status. If this is the case, you will receive an email about this with instructions on how to proceed.

If you receive an email asking you to document your residency status, please submit a copy of the decision you received from the Swedish Migration Agency (Migrationsverket) regarding your residency. It is important that this document contain information regarding on what grounds your residency was granted.

Illustrations by Gabriel Wentz