Alison, Canadian exchange student

Alison is a Canadian citizen. She wishes to study abroad for a year and is looking at Sweden as a study destination. She is currently attending McGill University in Canada where she is planning on getting her degree and is interested in doing an exchange programme with a Swedish university through her school.

Pernilla, admissions counselor

Pernilla Andersson works at University Admissions in Sweden as an admissions officer. She is here to answer some questions that our international applicants have regarding application and tuition fees in Sweden.


Alison: I´ve been looking into my school´s available exchange programmes, but am wondering about what the costs will be for my semester or year of studies in Sweden. 

Pernilla: There is a difference between official study abroad students and free movers. Free movers are students who apply for courses and programmes in Sweden independent of a university or college in another country — they pursue studies in Sweden on their own and plan on getting their degree here.

You are considered an exchange student as you will be studying for a limited period of time in Sweden through your university´s study abroad programme. Therefore, you are not required to pay an application fee or tuition fees here. You should contact McGill´s study abroad office to find out what your payment requirements are there.

Alison: What happens if I want to take an extra course or two at another university while I'm in Sweden?

Pernilla: The only courses that are fee exempt are courses that are offered at the university where you are doing your study abroad/exchange programme. You will be required to pay fees for any other courses you take - both on-campus and distance - at other Swedish universities and university colleges.

Illustrations by Gabriel Wentz