Welcome to the information page for applicants who have completed studies in China, with information about meeting the English requirement, what previous studies meet the basic entry requirements, and any special documentation instructions. 

Start with Step 1 - Finding out what I need to submit

There are general instructions for all applicants; it is important that you start with Step 1 and then work your way through the remaining steps in order to submit the right documents in the right way.

Meeting the English requirement - bachelor's and master's level studies

Upper secondary studies completed in this country do not meet the English requirement for studies in Sweden. Even if you studied English at your upper secondary school, it is not enough to give you eligibility in regard to English.

You can demonstrate that you meet the English language requirement through certain university studies, or an internationally approved English test. Find out more at the following link:

English language requirements

Previous studies that meet the general entry requirements and any special documentation instructions

For bachelor's level studies:

  • Senior Secondary School Certificate of Graduation / Diploma (高中毕业证书) + Student Record and/or 
  • Senior Secondary Graduation Examination (会考成绩). If you have a Student Record, please submit it.

For master's level studies:

For entry to a Master's programme, the minimum requirement is a 4-year Bachelor's degree. If you completed a 4-year programme in a shorter period of time – for example, after 3 years – you must submit an official document from your university which indicates this, and also explains why one or two semesters are missing from your transcript.

Students holding only a 3-year Diploma (zhuanke) will not satisfy the entry requirements for a Master's programme. Students may be able to use sub-degree level qualifications as a pathway to a Bachelor's degree. In such cases the field of study for the upgrading program must be the same as the field studied in the sub-degree program.

What documents are required?

A Bachelor Degree Certificate (学位证书), a Certificate of Graduation (毕业证书) and transcripts (for each year of study) should be submitted. 

  • Transcripts issued in English by the university are accepted; in this case, transcripts in original language are not required.
  • Note however that your bachelor degree certificate and the certificate of graduation in original language must always be included, along with an official certified translation to Swedish, English, French or German. 

This requirement also applies to international students from other countries who have a degree from a Chinese university.

Independent colleges

Students who have studied/are studying at an independent college are required to present a completed degree at the time of application. Students in their final year at an independent college will not satisfy the entry requirements for a Master's programme.

Self-study examinations

For entry to a Master's programme, the minimum requirement is 20-25 courses/examinations in core courses related to the major subject, and a thesis.

Embossed stamps

If your documents contained embossed (raised) stamps (you can feel them on the paper, but they may not have any visible ink), you must check the scan you create of your document to ensure that the stamp can be seen. If you cannot read the stamp on the scanned document, you must submit copies of your academic documents to University Admissions via regular post. The embossed stamp is proof of the authenticity of your documents and must be visible for them to be accepted.