Welcome to the information page for applicants who have completed studies in Scotland, with information about meeting the English requirement, what previous studies meet the basic entry requirements, and any special documentation instructions. 

Start with Step 1 - Finding out what I need to submit

There are general instructions for all applicants; it is important that you start with Step 1 and then work your way through the remaining steps in order to submit the right documents in the right way.

Meeting the English requirement - bachelor's and master's level studies

You can meet the English requirement with your upper secondary studies with Standard Grade.

If you’re documenting your English based on your upper secondary studies, you must provide upper secondary documents in order to demonstrate you meet the requirement. Please submit your upper secondary documents as indicated below under ’For bachelor’s level studies’.

You can also demonstrate that you meet the English language requirement through certain university studies, or an internationally approved English test. Find out more at the following link:

English language requirements

Previous studies that meet the general entry requirements and any special documentation instructions

For bachelor's level studies:

Scottish Qualifications Certificate (SQC) with a total of 5 subjects broken down according to the following:

  • a minimum of 3 Higher grade subjects and
  • 2 subjects from Secondary School (National 5, Intermediate 2, Standard grade or Ordinary grade, depending on the year of graduation)

For master's level studies:

The minimum requirement for entry to a Master's programme is a Bachelor's degree (hons) of at least 480 SCOTCATS/SCQF points.

Students holding only an ordinary, pass, condoned pass or compensated fail degree will not satisfy the entry requirements for a Master's programme.

Your Transcript of Records and Degree Certificate must be issued by a recognised body, usually a University, not your College/School Department, and it must be signed and stamped by the recognised body.

If your degree includes accredited transfer credits, full documentation of the whole Bachelor education (including Accredited Previous Learning, APL) must be included. If your APL comprises more than one year (120 CATS), the APL must also be listed in the Transcript of Records issued by the degree-awarding institution.

Information regarding Brexit

It is currently unclear when the United Kingdom will be leaving the European Union and what type of agreement, if any, will be reached.

In the following scenarios, we explain what can currently be expected if the UK leaves the EU with a deal, or without a deal.

If a withdrawal agreement is approved

Transitional rules will be in effect until 31 December 2020. Currently, we do not have any information regarding what these rules will entail.

If there is a no-deal Brexit

The Swedish government has decided on temporary exemptions from application and tuition fees for certain British citizens during a transitional period. These changes will be in effect from the date the UK leaves the EU without an agreement.

  • British citizens currently studying are exempt from paying tuition fees. These students have until 31 December 2022 to complete their course or programme tuition-free.
  • British citizens and their family members, who the day before the UK leaves the EU have right of residence in Sweden for reasons other than studies, will not be required to pay application or tuition fees up until 31 March 2020.
  • British citizens who apply for or are offered a place in a course or programme up until the day the UK leaves the EU will not be required to pay application or tuition fees. They may continue studying tuition-free until 31 December 2022.
  • British citizens who apply for a course or programme after the UK leaves the EU will be required to pay application and tuition fees.

This information will be updated as the situation becomes more clear.

Last updated: 08 April 2019