Welcome to the information page for applicants who have completed studies in Germany, with information about meeting the English requirement, what previous studies meet the basic entry requirements, and any special documentation instructions. 

Start with Step 1 - Finding out what I need to submit

There are general instructions for all applicants; it is important that you start with Step 1 and then work your way through the remaining steps in order to submit the right documents in the right way.

Meeting the English requirement - bachelor's and master's level studies

You can meet the English requirement with the following upper secondary studies:

Zeugnis der Allgemeinen Hochschulreife with either 4 English semesters (if primary foreign language), or Leistungskurs/Abiturprüfung in English.

If you’re documenting your English based on your upper secondary studies, you must provide upper secondary documents in order to demonstrate you meet the requirement. Please submit your upper secondary documents as indicated below under ’For bachelor’s level studies’.

You can also demonstrate that you meet the English language requirement through certain university studies, or an internationally approved English test. Find out more at the following link:

English language requirements

Previous studies that meet the general entry requirements and any special documentation instructions

For bachelor's level studies:

Secondary School Certificate (Zeugnis der Allgemeinen Hochschulreife with Abitur, Zeugnis der Reife, Reifezeugnis, Zeugnis der Fachgebundenen Hochschulreife or Zeugnis der Fachhochschulreife).

For master's level studies:

The minimum requirement is a Bachelor degree of at least 3 years and equivalent to 180 ECTS, a Diplom (Univ/FH) with Diplom-Urkunde, Magister Artium or Erste Staatsexamen/Staatsprüfung.

  • To demonstrate your eligibility you must submit officially issued transcript of record and Diploma (Urkunde). The Zeugnis cannot replace the Urkunde (except for Staatsprüfung). If your diploma supplement lists all your courses, it can replace the transcript of record given that it is sent together with the diploma (Urkunde). All pages with text/writing/stamps must be submitted, even back pages.
  • If you hold an Erste Staatsprüfung degree, it is important that you submit complete documentation of your study programme or a complete transcript.
  • If you are in the final year of your Bachelor’s studies at the time of application, a computer-generated transcript of records with clearly stated verification code for online verification can be accepted.
  • Please note that entries in academic record books (Scheine, Studienbuch or Lehrveranstaltungsnachweise) cannot be accepted as transcripts of records.